When it comes to dentistry for children, one of the most common errors that adults make is waiting too long to take their child to their first-ever dental visit. The American Dental Association suggests that kids should be taken to their first dental visit as soon as the first tooth erupts in the oral cavity. The age would approximately be around 6-8 months. While this may seem hasty, it isn’t. The first visit shouldn’t be delayed beyond a year of age. Even the CDC reports that more than 40 percent of children in the US have some sort of tooth decay by the time they reach kindergarten.
Dentistry for Children at Anoka Dental
The dentist who specializes in taking care of a child’s dental needs is called a pediatric dentist. They differ from a general dentist in the fact that they study extra years and develop further skills that are centered on providing treatment to young humans. In short, they specialize in pediatric dentistry, aka dentistry for children.
Pediatric dentists provide a wide array of diagnostic, preventative, and corrective therapies to children. These include, but aren’t limited to –
- Thorough examinations of the hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity to detect any dental issues that might be arising. These can include taking digital X-rays if indicated.
- Application of dental sealants and fluoride treatments to prevent a child’s teeth from cavities. This is perfect for kids who might be prone to developing decay due to habits, or if it runs in the family.
- Cavity restorations, root canal treatments, tooth extractions are some more treatments that a pediatric dentist provides. They also deal with any injuries that might’ve taken place to soft and hard tissues of a child’s mouth.
- Malocclusions and misalignments via the help of orthodontic appliances. This is pretty common among pre-teens and teenagers. Pediatric dentists are expertly skilled at detecting any tooth alignment issues that may arise during the transition phase from milk teeth to permanent teeth. Proper and timely intervention is key to preventing the need for extensive treatment when the child is older.
- Counseling is also provided to kids regarding their nutritional needs and behavior. This also includes treatment to break any oral habits that the child might have like tongue-thrusting, mouth-breathing, and thumb-sucking. (Done via habit-breaking appliances)
But Why Is Dentistry For Children Important?
There are plenty of reasons why keeping your child’s teeth healthy is important, especially with the help of a pediatric dentist.
- The primary teeth and the structures of the oral cavity of a child are not the same as those of an adult. Having said that, they also have different dental needs. General dentists are fully capable of taking care of those. However, a pediatric dentist has the developed skills needed to address them.
- Dental experts believe that while good dental practices at home are important, visits to your child’s dentist are imperative. Pediatric dentists will also impart knowledge to parents on how to best care for their child’s new teeth.
- Sometimes, parents might end up neglecting a child’s teeth because they eventually shed from the mouth. However, it must be noted that milk teeth also require proper care and maintenance. Apart from the masticatory function, they help in developing speech. If they shed before the appropriate time, the space that is left behind can cause future issues for the permanent teeth. This is where the preventative and restorative treatments come in.
- Exposing children to a dental office helps in alleviating any anxieties that they might feel. Furthermore, it builds long-standing relationships with their dentist and leads to healthier oral habits.
How Do I Know If Anoka Dental is great for My Child?
When it comes to choosing a dentist for your little one, it is obvious that you will look for the best. And we’re here to tell you exactly what it is that you should have your eyes peeled for.
- As mentioned earlier, a pediatric dentist is a go-to choice for your child. Feel free to ask the dentist about their qualifications and skill level – we assure you our staff has no qualms about being honest regarding their expertise. We’re here to set aside all your doubts and concerns.
- Dealing with children is a pretty slippery slope, particularly when it comes to dentist visits. This is why our staff here at Anoka are pretty efficient at making sure the child is not feeling anxious. Aside from our therapies, we’re a total people person. This includes communication with little kids, making them feel welcome in our space. Because we all know that a cold and distant staff isn’t the way to go.
- In the case of tiny humans, the ambiance of a dental office plays a huge role in ensuring that the child feels at ease when they come for a visit. Most offices are set up in a way that triggers the interests of kids – whether it’s playful colors on the walls, toys, and books to keep them engaged, or hiding all the scary-looking instruments. The comfort of your child comes first.
- We provide all the services the tiny humans might require at any point in time. Whether it’s the regular cleaning up (super important), to any corrective treatment that arises. Get in touch with us to find out more.
- Ideally, it is best to visit the same dentist till your child reaches the age of 14. Since a singular dentist will understand the ins and outs of your child’s dental health and knows what to look out for because they’re aware of the family history. Additionally, taking trips to one practitioner is easier for the child as well since it lessens any apprehension that they might feel.
The team at Anoka constantly updates themselves with the latest technological advancements in dentistry, including those involving pediatric dentistry. Rest assured, both you and your little one will feel right at home at our offices and with our staff. Book an appointment with Anoka Dental today. Call (763) 421-4002.