The orthodontic treatment aims primarily toward correcting poorly positioned teeth. This optimizes the bite and improves both function and appearance of the set. This treatment immensely works towards changing your smile.
The treatment of fixing the braces or aligners is usually associated with children, and it’s a saying to wear braces earlier to get the perfect teeth. However, it is noticed that even adults undergo this treatment to realign their teeth permanently. Hence, orthodontic treatment can be done at any age because the movement in the teeth of adults and Dentists for children is the same.
Following are the reasons why it is crucial to undergo an orthodontic treatment For:
- Realigning the tooth
- Correcting a space between teeth or dental overlap
- Repairing an overbite or teeth that are too high
- Preventing the future premature erosion
Deciding to have straightened your teeth is always a positive idea that can help improve the functioning of your teeth and the appearance of your smile. Straight teeth not just benefit in enhancing the functioning of the teeth but also eliminate the pain in the jaw muscles. So, caring for your teeth as a dental disorder can expose you to several complications like:
- Fractures in positioned teeth
- Poor health of the gums
- Temporomandibular joint problems
- More number of cavities because of improper cleaning and overlapping teeth
Teeth Aligners VS. Braces: What is a Better Option
There are two types of orthodontic treatments:
- Teeth Aligners
- Appearance: Teeth Aligners are less noticeable than braces because they are clear and custom-made to fit the teeth. This is an important factor for many but not all patients.
- Hygiene: You can brush and floss as per your usual routine because the teeth aligners are removable. This is important as cleaning your teeth with braces in place is challenging for most patients.
- Diet: Your diet is not affected when you remove your aligners to eat, and you can still eat the foods according to your choice. With braces, some foods are difficult or uncomfortable to eat and can even cause breakages which may delay treatment and need extra visits to the dentist to have repairs carried out.
- Comfort: Teeth aligners are much more comfortable than braces. However, when the teeth move, they can still be somewhat tender as the cheeks and lips tend to be less irritated because the plastic aligners are smoother than the metal or porcelain braces. This may be particularly relevant for those who play contact (or semi-contact) sports.
- Appointments: As the Orthodontist pre-plans the tooth movement, the visits in actual practice are generally much simpler. In some cases, it can also be fewer overall. For all those living busy lives, this is a big advantage!
- Effectiveness: Teeth aligners can treat most cases, but not all. Dentists may recommend braces instead of aligners in some complex situations, and the result may not be as precise if you still insist on aligners.
- Compliance: You need to wear aligners for 22 hours a day for an effective result, and this means you can only remove them while eating and cleaning. Compliance equals results!
- Cost: Sometimes, the cost of teeth aligners can be more than braces. However, mostly, they have similar or the same price. You can discuss the cost of your options with your dentist before you decide.
- For eating and cleaning, aligners need to be removed. Some patients feel shy or embarrassed and may find it difficult to do this in public.
- Applicable to all patients: Whereas teeth aligners can treat most cases, braces are used to treat all cases, which means braces are always an option.
- Variety of braces: Braces are of various types, like metal braces, with or without colors. Porcelain braces are also an option, and they are much more discreet than regular metal braces.
- Compliance: You cannot forget to wear the brace or lose them as they are fixed to your teeth. This can be very useful for some patients who are not internally motivated to comply with wearing teeth aligners adequately.
- Hygiene: It is much easier to clean your teeth with aligners than with braces. If you don’t clean it properly, some serious damage can occur to your teeth, and this can even lead to removing your braces early before you achieve an optimal final result.
- Comfort: As braces can rub on the cheeks and lips, they are more likely to cause discomfort. People who indulge in some sports and other activities are patients who suffer from this more than others.
- Appearance: All braces, even porcelain ones, are more noticeable than teeth aligners. Appearance is important for some people depending on their hobbies, occupation, or personality.
- Appointments: The appointments you need for braces tend to be more involved and longer, with active adjustments required to be carried out in the chair. There may even be a necessity for more frequent visits to the dentist.
- Diet: You will need to modify your diet with braces attached to your teeth. Hard foods (or nighttime grinding) may cause breakages which slow down or even stop your treatment progress. You also need to avoid sugary and sticky foods, as you are more prone to decay with braces. Inadequate hygiene plus a poor diet is a recipe for disaster!
For Best Orthodontic Treatments in
Anoka, MN 55303, United States, Contact Anoka Dental Today!
Teeth aligners and braces are both solid and safe treatment options, but their distinctive and unique features help patients decide which one is best for them according to their requirements. Regardless of your approach, opting for a teeth-straightening solution at Anoka Dental can help in restoring your smile, confidence, and oral health. So, contact us today!